In March 2009, Ajay Shah (a Mumbai-based brokerage house employee), wanted to buy his first car. At that point in time, the car dealers in the vicinity were sparing no effort in luring him with freebies such as Music Systems apart from Cash discounts. But then the slowdown came & Mr Shah postponed his car plans.
Fast Forward to today – with a sense of optimism prevailing, Shah has zeroed in on a Maruti Ritz. When he went to the same dealer a few days ago, he was in for a surprise. That waiting period for Ritz was going to be atleast 45 days!
This is not an isolated case. These days most of the car manufacturers tell their prospective customers beforehand that they would have to wait for 20-45 days before they can give them the delivery of the car.
Various Cars and their waiting periods are given below (with special ref. to Mumbai)
- Hyundai i10, i20 and Verna – 20-30 Days
- Maruti Swift Dzire – 3-4 Months
- Maruti Ritz (Petrol) – 2 Months
- Maruti WagonR & Swift (Petrol) – 30-45 Days
- Chevrolet Cruze – 20 days
- Chevrolet Aveo – One month Month
- Fiat Linea (Emotion Variant) – One Month
Similar is the case with 2 wheelers. Activa - the best selling scooter from Honda is not available before January!